What happened to Fate 2? [english]

Dieses Forum wird nun als Archiv benutzt. Alte Spielstände (bis 2005) können mit neuen Programmversionen (ab 2006) nicht mehr benutzt werden.
Fate 2 - Fanpage

Moderatoren: sircharles, Xajorkith, erni

Antworten
blackswan
Frischfleisch

What happened to Fate 2? [english]

Beitrag von blackswan »

Hello,

first of all sorry for writing this message in english. My german is very bad.

I am a fan of old obscure games and one of the greatest discoveries of the past few months for me has definitely been Fate: Gates of Dawn, it's a masterfully crafted game, even more so considering the technological limits of that era. Now I've recently caught wind of a possible sequel in the works, and so I've made it to this site. So it's true that there is such a thing. But despite searching the entire site, there doesn't seem to be any info about the current "up-to-date" status about the project (at least, judging from the poor Google Translation that I've read), or any download link.

So what I'd like to know - is it still being worked on or is it cancelled? If so, will there ever be an english version? Has there ever been a downloadable version (beta or otherwise)? In short, what is its current status?
Merope
Ritter/Amazone
Ritter/Amazone

Beitrag von Merope »

Hello blackswan,

Fate 2 was a private project of Olaf Patzenhauer, the programer of Fate 1.
He did this first for himself. Later on he gave personalized copies to members of this forum.
Because of this there are no download links.

Unfortunately Olaf passed away a year ago. :(
Therefore Fate 2 is not available anymore.

A fanproject for Fate 3 is now in development here in the forum.
But it is still at the beginning.

Greetings
Merope
blackswan
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von blackswan »

That's very sad. :( It is heartbreaking to hear about such a talented person passing away. This means that both "minds" behind the first Fate game (the other would be Holger Gehrmann) are no more amongst the living.

How much work has been done on the game up until this point, was it still in a beta state? What happened to the existing copies? And what about Fate 3?

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to Olaf and his legacy, quite the contrary - but what if the community was able to finish the game somehow and release it as a tribute of sorts, to him and his work? It would be a pity to leave a project he certainly invested much love and time into (from what I'm seeing here, it's been worked on for at least a decade) wither away like this. A lot of people in the world haven't even heard of Fate 1 yet, and this would certainly be a major revelation to many.
dragonling
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe
Beitrag von dragonling »

blackswan hat geschrieben:How much work has been done on the game up until this point, was it still in a beta state? What happened to the existing copies? And what about Fate 3?
The game was playable, but a lot of work was still to do. Roughly 15 percent of the "outside" world (2000x2000 fields) were designed. And a lot of dungeons up to 10 levels exists. More than 10 towns with lot of shops and guilds. More than 1800 PCs, NPCs and monsters were designed. But only some few minor quests to solve.
Only thing you can do was explore the world, find treasures, reveal the maps, develop the characters and slay monsters and slay monsters and slay monsters.
The existing copies were personalized to each owner. Means: the hero was set to the name and class the player wants and in the pause-screen the owner of the copy was mentioned by name, address and phone-number.
blackswan hat geschrieben:I don't mean to sound disrespectful to Olaf and his legacy, quite the contrary - but what if the community was able to finish the game somehow and release it as a tribute of sorts, to him and his work?
No way. The game was entirely written in assembler. And the source is not existing anymore. And reverse engineering the EXE is possible, but it will be faster, to rewrite the game from scratch. And from what I know from the design of code and game it has many flaws, what is one reason why after 10 years it is still at this early state.
blackswan
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von blackswan »

Apologies for the late response. So should I understand that a "remake" of what exists of Fate 2 is already underway? If it is so, how much work has been done on it so far, does it look promising? I really don't want this to die. :(
Talin
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von Talin »

i always wondered what happened to this game, since hearing about it some years ago.
blackswan
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von blackswan »

Any news on the project since? To be honest, I'm pretty worried about this game...
Abyss
Titan(in)
Titan(in)

Beitrag von Abyss »

This is a Google German -> English translation.
(My english is a disaster)
Hai, I am one of the designers of Fate 3

The development of Fate 3 just fell asleep a little.

I have for example just a few Pivate problems.
Can not not invest so much time. Not as much as I like did.

At the moment I'm writing the Background. The prehistory of Fate - Gats of Dawn is far finished.

Now I write the story of Fate. What happened in the game. But not from the perspective of Winwood.

There is a story in the background. What happened what the players have not realized.

The story of "Fate 1" is then seamlessly into the story of "Fate 3".

This is more work than it sounds. I'm writing a novel right here.

But do not worry. To have played Fate 1 is not prerequisite.

In Fate 3: Players will start with an innocent new character. A newbie character who has no idea what has happened so far.

With this character, players will get to know the world of Fate third.
blackswan
Frischfleisch

Beitrag von blackswan »

Sounds like you're taking the project quite ambitiously. I wish you luck with this, but I hope your vigor will burn long enough to finish it fully. I've already been sorely disappointed by a lot of overambitious fan games that their makers grew prematurely bored with and never finished; I hope you won't end up the same.

And if you ever give up... I hope that at least the original Fate 2 (or rather what was created of it so far) files can be released then, so I can at least keep on imagining what could have been, if things went better for Olaf...

By the way, have you guys thought about making a separate site for this project? Or "borrowing" the fate2.de site and making a new section there for Fate 3? I'd be interested in following this game's creation process and reading any news you can provide.
Antworten

Zurück zu „Fate 2“