Programme: Fate-Master | FaME (DE / EN)

Hier kann man Fragen über Fate stellen, die man schon immer mal beantwortet haben wollte.
Fate 1 - Fanpage

Moderatoren: sircharles, Xajorkith, erni

Dragonfly
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Beitrag von Dragonfly »

Hallo WWWanderer,
WWWanderer hat geschrieben: Omg, ich habe mich jetzt extra registriert nur um dir diesen Satz zu schreiben: "Ich liebe dich für dieses Tool" :bussi: :D
Na endlich mal jemand, der mein Tool richtig zu würdigen weiss! :mrgreen:
Nein, aber im Ernst: Danke!

Zum Thema Fate:
Ja, Olaf hatte mit diesem Spiel etwas wirklich großartiges geschaffen! In den Bereichen Spieltiefe, Größe, Atmosphäre, Grafik und Sound gab es damals m.E. nichts vergleichbares. Und obwohl ich das Spiel bestimmt schon 5 oder 6 mal durchgespielt habe, hat es immernoch einen sehr hohen wiederspielwert - keine Ahnung woran das liegt.

Und bei den Passwortabfragen der Nymphen, habe ich mir immer ganz besonders viel Mühe gegeben sie richtig zu beantworten - weiss auch nicht warum. *hüstel* *heschel* *grins*
Aber wirklich tricky waren/sind die Abfragen vom "Steinernen Wächter" - davor?, dahinter?, gegenüber? Mist, falsch - aber welches davon?! *grummel*

Habe ich eigentlich erwähnt das ich die Amigaversion in Original immer noch hier bei mir zu stehen habe? :mrgreen:
Glückwunsch! Damit bist Du einer der wenigen, die das Spiel im Original hatten/haben! :top:
Tja, hätte es mehr Käufer gegeben, dann wäre reLine vlt. nicht Pleite gegangen und es hätte eine PC-Version gegeben und vlt. sogar noch eine Deluxe-Version mit 3 Disketten - mit dem von Olaf geplanten Ende. Hmm, wer weiß?!? *seufz*

Zum Thema Wizardry:
Obwohl ich viele der alten Spiele, die Du aufgezählt hast kenne/besitze/gespielt habe, so ist doch die Wizardry-Serie irgendwie komplett an mir vorbeigegangen. Naja, man hat halt damals nur die Spiele gekannt/gespielt, die irgendwie "im Umlauf" waren. ^^ Und später ist mir diese Serie auch nie aufgefallen - Naja, vielleicht schaue ich sie mir jetzt mal an.

Und zu den Automapping-Möglichkeiten für "Fate" antworte ich mal in deinem anderen Thread.

MfG,
Dragonfly
Dragonfly
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Beitrag von Dragonfly »

Hello Rangerous,

nice to have you here (i`ve read some posts from you on CRPG Addict´s Blog).
Rangerous the Second hat geschrieben: But today, I found your FateMaster download, and it totally puts my work to shame. What a great resource! Thanks for making it available to us all!
So, I don't imagine that my noob spreadsheets add much value to your brilliant resource, but I'll upload in case anyone has an interest.
Well, Fatemaster has a lot of informations inside that came from this Forum. And, although this pool of information is huge, it is by far not complete. There are still some Question-marks and statements that are not yet validated. Or with other Words: Every source of information is welcome! Because it could be useful for comparing it with existing data or even contains completely new infos. So, thank you in advance - i will DL it and read it later.

Rangerous the Second hat geschrieben: I have only recently begun to decompile the code during execution, in order to learn fun and interesting things, but so far any details I have learned are of no serious consequence.
Wow, this could be very helpful! Is it possible to figure out where certain things are located inside the files - like GFX, SFX, Objects, Subjects, a.s.o. ?

Greets,
Dragonfly
Cata Tumbas
Goblin
Goblin

Beitrag von Cata Tumbas »

@und es hätte eine PC-Version gegeben

Laut Wikipedia dürften es wohl an die 12 englischen MS-DOS Version in den Handel geschafft haben!

:aua2:
hier melden!
Rangerous the Second
Goblin
Goblin

where certain things are located

Beitrag von Rangerous the Second »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

"Is it possible to figure out where certain things are located inside the files - like GFX, SFX, Objects, Subjects, a.s.o. ? "

Maybe. I noticed that different encryption is used in different places (the 4 byte key and rotation changes for different areas). The most efficient approach might be to learn the decryption per file, to make file contents more obvious. So far I've seen no evidence of compression, rather I've only seen encryption.

Also, WinUAE is very powerful, enabling watchpoints on memory locations to expose the code that reads or writes that memory. The trick is to understand what it is that we would like to watch.

I'm mostly chugging along very slowly. It's taken me about 6 months to generate that spreadsheet you have. I have a couple others I haven't uploaded yet (I have been too lazy and they seem less valuable). Specifically, the automap Larvin encounters, and the automap for Wilderness encounters. The Wilderness one (so far) only works when you've just stepped out of Larvin (because encounters are referenced to some memory location which I haven't discovered yet, but I know it's value only when you've just stepped out of Larvin).

Might and Magic World already knows so much, it's amazing! I'd be interested in learning how I should best focus my energies, because recently I learned that much of memory mapping that I have done, was already done long ago. What is a GFX and SFX?

Thanks!
Dragonfly
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Beitrag von Dragonfly »

Hallo,

Cata Tumbas hat geschrieben: Laut Wikipedia dürften es wohl an die 12 englischen MS-DOS Version in den Handel geschafft haben!
Ach so, die! Jaaa, von denen hatte ich auch mal ein Exemplar.
Aber das hat dann der Hund gefressen! Böser Wau-wau!!!

(... da waren´s nur noch 11) ;D

Aber mal ehrlich, wer arbeitet monatelang an einer Konvertierung und bringt dann nur 12 Exemplare in den Handel - das macht irgendwie keinen Sinn!

@Rangerous II.
So far I've seen no evidence of compression, rather I've only seen encryption.
Sounds good! And i´m pretty sure now, that compression was only used to get all the files on 2 Floppy discs, and during harddrive installation all the files were decompressed for faster access.

Also, WinUAE is very powerful,... The trick is to understand what it is that we would like to watch.
Well, i´ve started the Debugger... and all i´ve seen was a bunch of little windows filled with weird stuff. :)
So i guess you need a good knowledge of 68K Hardware and 68K Assembler, for getting what you want.

I'm mostly chugging along very slowly. It's taken me about 6 months to generate that spreadsheet you have... Might and Magic World already knows so much, it's amazing!
You´re not on our payroll - so relax, no need to hurry! :D

And don´t be confused by the mass of informations about 'Fate' you can find on this Forum. Because all these informations were brought in by various people over the last 2 decades. And it is long time ago, since there was something really new or spectacular in it. So it´s hard to find something, that´s not already known - but you did it! With your encryptions, we have the chance to explore the internals of 'Fate' a little more. Thank you! :top:

I'd be interested in learning how I should best focus my energies...
Oh, this is really hard to answer - because it depends on your intensions/goals.
And every advice i would give, would sound somewhat selfish (like: it is best to figure out where graphics(GFX), sound-effects(SFX), objects and subjects are located). :)

Greets,
Dragonfly

P.S.: I wasn`t yet able to open your spreadsheet-file. Maybe it´s the fileformat (i use Apache Open Office) or the filesize, that makes OpenOffice pump like crazy. Could you please split off a table into a single file in the Open Document format, just for a test. Thanks!
Rangerous the Second
Goblin
Goblin

Hex Spreadsheet is available at www.fategatesofdawn.com

Beitrag von Rangerous the Second »

Hi. Thanks for the follow-up.

I think I'll open a new topic to discuss the WinUAE debugger.

Sorry about the spreadsheet. Since I've exceeded my upload limit on Might and Magic World, I've finally learned how to host a very limited web site at www.fategatesofdawn.com

The Hex Decoder Spreadsheet is available in LibreCalc and Excel versions. I think LibreCalc was a fork of Open Office, and am hoping the ODS format will work for you.

If I get ambitious, I'll put a secret decoder ring briefly describing the spreadsheet tabs and their interaction. Because I'm an internet noob, I'm really too ignorant to set up a discussion board on that web site, so I'd prefer to continue discussions here.
Antworten

Zurück zu „Fate - Gates of Dawn“