Terrific mod for might and magic 7

Hier dreht sich alles um das (englische) Remake-Projekt, welches auf MM7 aufsetzt

Moderatoren: Thies, mara

Antworten
asterix15
Bursche / Magd
Bursche / Magd

Terrific mod for might and magic 7

Beitrag von asterix15 »

This is a terrific mod for might and magic 7.

The mod is completely changed with new quests. You can also come back to Emerald Island which is also a new feature.

Some bugs just need to get fixed before a release.
Of course there are so many changes it shall take some time to fix it all properly.
New quests, new teleporters, new weapons, new guilds, new dungeons.

There are definitely some new ‘surprises’ here for the MM7 veterans!

If you have any questions about moding.. just ask :)
Dont know how to say it in english? Ask it in Deutsch :smokin:

BDJ is the actual leader of this fan project he has done the most of the reprogramming task. I would like to give all of the credits to him :respekt:

New Guild!!!!

Bild

Many New Quests!!!!

Bild

Defend E-ISLES!!!!

Bild

Huge Spiders!!!!

Bild

Clear out Castle Harmondale. You'll note that you must kill all hostiles on both the ground floor and the upstairs.

Bild

Release Date End of the month!

Enjoy this "preview" :bounce:
Zuletzt geändert von asterix15 am Di 15.01.2008 - 15:52, insgesamt 4-mal geändert.
Chris_TG
Grossdruide/in
Grossdruide/in

Beitrag von Chris_TG »

Wow, that looks great! :)

I have some questions, they are technically, since I am the maintainer of the german fan-patch here.

- How did you make the new quests? As far as I know, there is no documentation about the structure of the event-files in MM?! Could you please share your insider-knowledge about this? I'm looking for such stuff since many years.
- I bet the new dialogs/items/etc. are in english only. Any chance for a translated version? I could offer my help if you're interested.

cheers,
Chris
asterix15
Bursche / Magd
Bursche / Magd

Beitrag von asterix15 »

Hi Chris,
How did you make the new quests? As far as I know, there is no documentation about the structure of the event-files in MM?!
Believe it or not, implementing those quests was a major reprogramming task.

I have also noted the total absence of ‘modding’ information in the Might and Magic ‘universe’. And with good reason. Might and Magic is an ‘event-driven’ game that is primarily implemented using a custom, unique ‘event language’ that has, to date, remained a mystery to the ‘modding’ community. If one could just ‘unlock the mysteries’ of this language, an entire series of new Might and Magic game mods could be produced to ‘feed’ the endless hunger of the loyal and hopeful Might and Magic players.

I have been somewhat successful at this project, and have been able to 'discover' about 98% of the language.
The remaining 2% still illudes me, but I have not needed it to complete this 'project'.
In its current form, the game is designed to supplement a course/tutorial on the event language. As such, the game **is** complete, but the changes have been 'sectionalized' at certain key points in the game flow for ease of analysis. It's still a challenging and enjoyable game, but the flow is not as smooth as I originally intended.

(All of the new world computing (3DO) artists learned 3Dstudio-Max for M&M 6,7,8.
They have made the graphics with 3Dstudio-Max for M&M7)

If you want to reprogramme M&M7 you should look at GAMES.LOD and EVENTS.LOD.

You cant add new quests.. you can only replace things.

Also, there are **no more** Trade Triangle Quests.
Because of MM7 file size limitations, I had to 'cut' some game events to 'fit' the new ones into the game.
Hence, (amoung other things).

Besides there is **not** a VORI in MM7.
I have looked for it in the MM7 files and I couldnt find it.

What I really like about the MM7 structure is that you can assign a program 'event' to a sprite and then 'code it up'. For instance, I've placed a couple of Town Portal Pedestals in Erathia and have coded them to teleport the user to Harmondale or Erathia. However, to use the teleporters, the party must have a Town Portal Teleport Pass which can be purchased at the Inn for 300 gold. Simple enough "stuff", but it does add a unique dimension to the game.

I'm not quite sure about using non-MM7 maps with the MM7-engine and event language. For that matter, I'm not quite sure that we can use MM8 maps in an MM7 game and visa-versa. The problem isn't with the graphics, themselves, but in the assignment of and/or conflicts with event "triggers" between the games/maps. Without event triggers, you can't code much of anything on a map. The local event triggers are no problem, but the global event triggers could cause serious conflicts in coding.
It has to do with the structure of the header info in GAMES.LOD and the dynamic parameters required by the game engine to sucessfully and dynamically load a map while the game is running.

Importing mm6 maps into mm7 involves reprogramming the new map area. But it is posible.

If you want to edit how much damage a spell does.. and how many SP it will cost for you to cast a spell.. and which spells and which skills available for each class you will have to extract MM7.exe.
If you extract MM7.exe you will see several files including race.dat and skill.dat. You can also use a skill editor to edit skills.

Skill Editor

Bild

Download the skill editor from this site

http://www.blimix.com/mm7/

Here is one of my Skill Mods

http://files.filefront.com/MM7+Skills+e ... einfo.html

Might and Magic map viewer (maybe someone can make a real map editor)

Bild

Download mm_mapviewer

http://angel-death.newmail.ru/MM/mm_mapviewer.rar
I bet the new dialogs/items/etc. are in english only. Any chance for a translated version? I could offer my help if you're interested.

The new dialogs/items/etc are in english only.
I do not have the german version of M&M7 so making a translated version myself would be hard.

I wouldnt mind if you want to make a german translation of the MOD. When I release the "source code" you will be able to translate it into german.

I do hope that this information is usefull for you :D

It was my pleasure.

Asterix15 :top:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Xfire = Rekenmachine898989
Zuletzt geändert von asterix15 am Di 15.01.2008 - 13:38, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
Chris_TG
Grossdruide/in
Grossdruide/in

Beitrag von Chris_TG »

Hi Asterix,

thanks for all that valuable information and links! :)

So you said you have discovered abt. 98% of the language the MM-engine uses. Did you write anything down yet? Are you planing to publish these secrets? I'm realy curious about the inner structure of this game. :bounce:

cheers,
Chris
asterix15
Bursche / Magd
Bursche / Magd

Beitrag von asterix15 »

So you said you have discovered abt. 98% of the language the MM-engine uses. Did you write anything down yet? Are you planing to publish these secrets? I'm realy curious about the inner structure of this game.

If someone could just ‘unlock the mysteries’ of this language, an entire series of new Might and Magic game mods could be produced to ‘feed’ the endless hunger of the loyal and hopeful Might and Magic players.

We might consider to release the secrets of M&M7 indeed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Xfire = Rekenmachine898989
Zuletzt geändert von asterix15 am Di 15.01.2008 - 13:38, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Gobo
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe
Beitrag von Gobo »

:respekt: Time to install MM7 once more :))
http://del.icio.us/matthewgood
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Man makes God so God to make Man
Man makes the Devil so that he can understand
Why things always turn out this way
(Matthew Good)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
asterix15
Bursche / Magd
Bursche / Magd

Beitrag von asterix15 »

Here is a video showing the new portals..

http://rapidshare.com/files/84274249/MM ... 7.avi.html

You will have to download and install fraps too because else it doesn't work!

http://www.fraps.com/download.php
Zuletzt geändert von asterix15 am Mi 16.01.2008 - 18:09, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
Chris_TG
Grossdruide/in
Grossdruide/in

Beitrag von Chris_TG »

Hm, the video does not playback here. It's missing a codec called "FPS1" - what is it?! Never heard that name before... ?(

cheers,
Chris
Ephirnion
Providentia Entwickler
Providentia Entwickler
Beitrag von Ephirnion »

I really can't believe it!
Round'bout ten years after my first contact to the Might&Magic universe I can see light at the end of the tunnel... and I really hope that this will be the opportunity for all of us to be part of some new adventures in Erathia.

I can see that it might be really difficult to get behind all of the "mysterious" language programmers used to create Might and Magic :D but we all have waited for this soooo long.

Nothing more, we wish to have some kind of game-creator, where we can build up and play the hidden places of the mm-World.

I'm really looking forward to the video, but unfortunately I can't get it running, too. :D
Veris dulcis in tempore
Florentis stat sub abore
Nymphenzeit
asterix15
Bursche / Magd
Bursche / Magd

Beitrag von asterix15 »

FPS1 = Fraps Codec Fraps Codec used by Fraps screen video capture application.

If you go to http://www.fraps.com/download.php and download Fraps, it will install the fps1 codec on your system by default.

Sorry :o
Antworten

Zurück zu „Might and Magic 7 Remake“