DODDTHESLAYER 2.0_ (A Tribute to Flamestryke)

Allgemeine Diskussionen rund um Wizardry 8

Moderatoren: Thies, mara, Sharookan

DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

DODDTHESLAYER 2.0_ (A Tribute to Flamestryke)

Beitrag von DoddTheSlayer »

Mod is now updated to version 2.3

Since nearly 20 bugs have been discovered since the release of version 2.0 i felt it better to release a new version rather than have everyone download 2.0 and then have to add 2 patches for 2.2 and 2.3
Take a look at the bottom of the readme file for all the changes.
All the links for 2.0 and patch 2.2 are no longer usable because they are not needed now.

Here is the link for version_2.3:
http://www.divshare.com/download/5128028-3f9

Note that there is only 1 link now instead of 3. The others were hardly being used by comparrison. Divshare is three times more popular than the other two.

Update:
It seems that free users have limited downloading bandwidth and everything has stopped after 60 downloads so here is another link until August 17th when Divshare is back up for me:

http://rapidshare.com/files/135806800/D ... r_2.30.rar
Zuletzt geändert von DoddTheSlayer am Sa 09.08.2008 - 05:07, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Bumping this thread due to important mod update since DoddTheSlayer 1.0 was released.
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Re: DODDTHESLAYER 2.0_ (A Tribute to Flamestryke)

Beitrag von Pottenham »

:winken:
DoddTheSlayer hat geschrieben: Generated traders now gone in exchange for reliable static ones.
Its far less frustrating this way... :)

I just stumbled into the Hatchdoor next to the Umpani Base with my Level 9 Party - Boy,this was the shortest Fight i ever had. :))

This Mod is one impressive piece of work.Very enjoyable,so far.I dont even want to imagine how much work this must have been.
Thank you so much for this.

Greetings from Pottenham
Der Homungus herrscht über das Wüstenland !!
Thorbu
Erzdruide/in
Erzdruide/in

Beitrag von Thorbu »

Great Mod, good job. Thanks fot it.
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

More info

Since the thread is alive i will give a little more needed info.

For those who want to ty out the new enchanter skill but don't want the frustration of trying to merge every item in the game to see what they can make, i have made a spoiler list that can be downloaded separately Here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?04bf1ab4ygv

You should also know that although imade 5 new locations that they will not be seen early game.
Don't worry you will not have to explore the whole of Dominus to find them. It's just that you cannot start entering them until given a particular quest that you will come to because it is a mandatory quest for the original game and for my mod.
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Beitrag von Pottenham »

There is one very very minor thing that caught my Attention.If you want those Guys in the monastary (the Enchanters) to be politely speaking (like their brothers Braffit and his Monks) they should rather be saying "My brother Denarius and I" instaed of "I and my brother Denarius".
It is a matter of polite speech to always name the other Character first.

Of course this is very minor and would only be of Interest for the Beauty of the whole Mod.

Grüße aus Pottenham
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Nothing is too small to mention. Spelling errors should be pointed out also.
I make these corrections as they are pointed out to me and then they are allready added ready for the next update when there is sufficient reason to release one.
This will be added to the changes.
bach501
Soldat(in)
Soldat(in)

Beitrag von bach501 »

Thanks to Dodd for this mod. Maybe we can use this thread for some beta-testing experiences.
I had trouble in Arnika with the skeleton in the temple-cellar. I managed to paralyze it, but it still moves away from attacks.
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

SPOILER (For Rapax skeleton)

I should mention that the Rapax skeleton in Arnika was implemented for power training for those who have the patience for such a thing.
It is based on the Deathstalker monster from his own mod and i think this may have been the reason why he implemented such a creature.
That is why it is easily paralysed. So that you can stop training every now and again and save the game.
This is why it is placed in a place that you no longer need to go
So that players who don't power train can just ignore it.

Don't worry though. This will not make the mod easy. You can still get killed with stealth and reflexion at 100%
I have tried to design a mod that will be a challenge even for those who train everything up to maximum.

If you wish it, the Rapax Skeleton can easily be killed with damage spells when your magic is up, but it is always immune to physical damge.
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

It occurs to me that many of you will be coming to this mod having not played version 1.3.
I think it is only fair to tell you that there is a new quest involving the Retro dugeons that could prove annoying to those who allready know how to get to them.
Just be warnedthat you can no longer open the dungeons with the usual weapons.

I will not say any more than that. If you have never been to the retro dungeons before it is now possible to find them without spoiler maps because of the new quest, but if you allready know how to get to them it could be quite annoying to get all the way there only to find that you cannot use the original weapons.
This is one aspect of the mod that i am slightly regretting which is why i am telling you about it.
There has been some negetive feedback on this part of the mod, but not all.
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Beitrag von Pottenham »

I like the way how you implemented the Dungeons into a Storyline. They seemed kind of useless to me in Vanilla and after having solved all 3 of them once i couldnt find any more motivation to enter them again (just for a few EXP ? - na - as Calzone says:they wasnt pretty to look at... ).
Now they are part of the Whole and you have to accomplish something to gain entrance.Thats much better than "either you know how to get in or you dont".

Havent been in there since i started playing the Mod so i dont know exactly whats waiting for me,but im eager to find out. :)

I do really hope youre not thinking about reverting this back to how it was,cause for my part i think what you did there makes sense. :respekt:

Grüße aus Pottenham
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Oh no. Once i implement something it stays unless it becomes a bug like the generated traders.
I have just discovered a Russian site very active largely due to having their own modder and they had never heard of any of my mods from version 1.0 to this one.

So my only regret is that it really takes some explaining for those who have not been with the mod from the start about the dungeons and the enchanters because they are both part of a running theme that started in the first version.

The enchanter spellcasters are a follow on from The new custom item makers and the The Retro quests are a follow on from the original Lana Quest.
In fact i think there is such difficulty explaining this here also but not so much since i did see that you discovered my earlir mods here before i even made my first post.
The Russian site is completely in the dark and i want to bring them up to date since they are more active than any of the English sites i have seen.

If any of you want to take a look at the site i have a thread there at the top in English and i am sure most of you have a feature in your brouser that will permit you to use advanced search and translate page once you get the link. I found it by typing "Wizardry 8 Deathstalker" into google then using advanced search to get the pages that can be translated from Russian.

Here is a link anyway:
http://www.buka.ru/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=24

My thread right at the top in English. Actually i recommend the thread as quite interesting. The modder says that my monsters are weak and will be easy to beat just by looking at them in the editor.
Maybe he knows something about the game that the rest of us don't.
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Beitrag von Pottenham »

Pffft,this guy is talking about Level 40+Parties.Well i dont know by now how much EXP i will be gathering in this Mod but i am pretty sure that you wont be above Level 40 when you enter the andvanced Areas.
Plus he seems to be quite confident that he cannot be surprised by certain skills that you might have implemented to the melee-Opponents,hehehe. :))
Lets hear what he has to say once he played the Mod :smokin: .

By the way,those wall textures in the new Dungeon Area next to the Umpani Base are so much nicer then the old Retro-Dungeon-Walls.Any chance that you will use these or others for the Retro-Dungeons in future releases?
Or maybe you already did - havent been in the Retro-Dungeons by now.

Grüße aus Pottenham
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Since there is only he that has posted in the thread i made i am thinking that his main interest would be in picking up knowledge from observing my mod.
There are 2 other Russian mods. One called "Ultimate mod" and one called "Darklords mod"
Though i am having difficulty in locating those mods they do exist because i saw a post that listed available mods and gave them each a rating.
Ultimat mod has broken links in the 1st post of the thread, and i have not as yet found working links.
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Beitrag von Pottenham »

Hi Dodd. :winken:
Are you by any chance thinking about retexturing those ugly Retro-Dungeon-Walls for future releases?Those wall-textures from Qusaris part would fit nice,i guess. :)

Grüße aus Pottenham
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

Texture modding alone is something i am not really motivated to do.
i would ask Qusari to do it, but he gets carried away with wanting to add all kinds of other things.
I think now i may have finally persuaded him to begin his own mod rather than add things to mine.

Out of interest though i would like to know just how much of Dominus players would like to see retextured.
Qusari did a texture pack some time ago for one of my earlier versions that included Arnika, and Arnika road.
I can ask him at any time if i can use some of his textures to redo any part of Dominus and include some of my own.

The thing about retexturing that puts me off is that i don't feel that it is something i should force on players by making it an official part of the mod, because of the different tastes that players will have and there are many that would object to changes that are purley cosmetic as being a waste of time.
This being so i could only bring myself to release such as an optional update for those who want a different look to Dominus.

Would this do ?
Loudhy
Erzmagier(in)
Erzmagier(in)

Beitrag von Loudhy »

For me the textures are o.k. . It's true, the walls of the retros are ugly but there are other things that would be nice.

F.e. I think it would be great to enter the waters of the Lower Monastery beach ( with scuba gear only, of course :) ) . It looks like there is a floor you can walk on and so you can place a wreck there with a chest and an interesting item. And why is a barriere near the plateau with Burz to block the way down to the water ?

There are other areas in other maps that are blocked.

In my opinion removing those barriers ( if possible ) would be a great addition to a mod.
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Beitrag von Pottenham »

Aside from the Retro Dungeons i think the textures in Wiz 8 are nice as they are.
But exploring the Dungeons as they are is pretty dull - there is nothing that i really WANT to watch.
Dont get me wrong i dont expect any eyecandy but at least something,anything would be better than the original "no-texture-walls" down there.
An optional update would be maybe the best-there might be players out there who like their dungeons black in black :)

Grüße aus Pottenham
DoddTheSlayer
Dieb(in)
Dieb(in)

F.e. I think it would be great to enter the waters of the Lower Monastery beach ( with scuba gear only, of course ) . It looks like there is a floor you can walk on and so you can place a wreck there with a chest and an interesting item.

I think this is one of those thoughts share by many players like the idea of Anna's boat going somewhere or the bridge being fixed to martens Pagoda and the Mook ship having a purpose, but for me it offers too many possibilities to just extend the beach water so that players can find a treasure.
I would have to have a secret door down there that can only be opened from the other side.
The purpose for which would make necessary a whole new quest involving new locations with new stoeryline.
But it would be a parralel storyline instead of mainline quest which is extended far enough.
I have to think big with anything i do to be motivated which is why i don't want to do any retexturing. New locations is a much better way to intrduce new textures as you will see when you get to the new locations.
Have any of you been to the new locations yet ?
Pottenham
Hexer/Hexe
Hexer/Hexe

Beitrag von Pottenham »

I just entered the first new location that became available after completing the Rapax Castle tasks.

I must say:This is absolutely beautyfull and i was completely surprised to see a totally new area.I always thought it was impossible to add completely new build areas to the game,at least thats what i have read somewhere a long time ago.
I expected the new locations,mentioned in the readme,would be something like those Bandit-Leader-Houses and such. :evil2:

The architecture is very very nice just as the idea behind that Area.It perfectly fits into Wizardry 8 and i just love it. :rotate:

You are not only a very talented and skilled modder but also a very talented mapper. :gott2:
Such Qualities are not found very easily as i have learned in exploring hundreds of mods&maps for Quake 1&2,Doom 1&2,Halflife1&2,Jagged Alliance 2 and a lot of other games that i hold dear to my heart. :respekt:

Grüße aus Pottenham
Antworten

Zurück zu „Wiz8 - Allgemein“